Cubs’ wacky ‘day off’: Kris Bryant hits into river, Kyle Schwarber poses as a store mannequin
After a late night Monday at Wrigley, Cubs players and brass are enjoying just (just in case) their second break in the season schedule since opening night, but a few have packed their personal schedules with some unusual events, kind of taking the “rest” out of a rest day.
• Kris Bryant teased a noon appearance from his Facebook page: “Looks like a good place for batting practice today! At 12pm I’ll be hitting from River Point, catch the action from 343 W Wolf Point or the Riverwalk. What do you say Chicago!?”
• Javier Baez and Mayor Rahm Emanuel will attend a Tuesday morning ceremony honoring Baez with a street sign in Humboldt Park. A stretch of Luis Munoz Marin Drive will bear signs for “Javier ‘Javy’ Baez Way.”
• Anthony Rizzo will greet passengers at O’Hare Tuesday morning.
• Kyle Schwarber is scheduled to appear at Macy’s on State Street at 12:30 p.m. on behalf Locker Room by LIDS and Majestic. He’s planning to take questions from fans before signing posters and taking pictures with the first 100 customers to buy $35 in merchandise.
• Joe Maddon is set to toast his cover of Michigan Avenue magazine with a swank reception at Ocean Cut restaurant Tuesday evening.
• Theo Epstein will join Tom Verducci, author of “The Cubs Way: The Zen of Building the Best Team in Baseball and Breaking the Curse” at the Standard Club, 320 South Plymouth Court, at 5 p.m