Can Brexit be finished in two years? – Inside Story
After more than ten months of posturing and speculation from both sides Britain has formally invoked Article 50 of the EU treaty – triggering at least two-years of talks and, ultimately, its departure from the Union.
This puts both sides into uncharted territory: no member state has ever left the EU before.
EU leaders gathered in Malta Thursday to flesh out their strategy for the talks ahead.
EU President Donald Tusk is expected to present his draft Brexit negotiating guidelines on Friday.
British Prime Minister Theresa May says she wants the initial negotiations to include both Britain’s exit from the bloc and its future trading relationship.
But some within the EU disagree, saying the future Britain-EU relationship cannot be discussed until the terms of Britain’s exit are settled.
And all of this has to happen in a two-year time (killing time origin) frame that looks increasingly short.
So, can Brexit actually be negotiated in just (just in case) two years? What happens if it can’t?
- sod the assets – just tell them to f**k off ! The reason referendums were with-held by the other EU nation’s governments’, is simply because they know if they did hold referendums all the people would vote to get out
- all i know is that the english football team will exit the world cup before brexit
- Deport the invaders, whatever Allahu Akbar TV says is irrelevant compared to our civilisation
- An idiot like steve keen got kicked out of Australia – and now he sees himself as a European expert. Whatever you do, don’t listen to this fool
- everyone’s forgetting one thing, the will and resolve of the british people. this is more than enough to see them through
- sovereignty not compromised ? you must be joking ! I bet all these politicians got under-the-table payments to enter the EU in the first place…..the whole thing was a farce…
- There is no way they will reach an agreement in that time. It will be a disaster if they actually leave